Thursday, May 22, 2008

Memorial Day

There is something terribly wrong about Memorial Day. There is something terribly perverse about how our culture steers us away from pain whenever we have the choice to face it. Why do we allow things like Memorial Day car sales? It is obscene to use a day of remembrance in such a manner.

Why do we always have to be consumers, man? What a slap in the face to those who have lost someone. Memorial Day should feel personal to all of us. Where is collective remembrance and grief in American culture? Would we allow Your Grandmother is Dead Discount Day !!??

3 comments:

Todd Franklin Osborn said...

As usual human nature (greed) wins and subverts our sense of what is right. Capitalism is no better than any other system in that respect. True Freedom is the right to do the right thing for any given situation.

Kelly O said...

Well said, man.

Sunshine said...

Thanks for saying what I always want to say every year when I'm hired to make retail ads for this "holiday." I'm just happy if I can figure out how to make them like it and it doesn't say "Happy Memorial Day."

Truth is that they probably didn't think of it at all, just thought, Hey, 3 day weekend. I started putting comments, quotes and other things in my ads. It's the best I can do besides not take the job.