Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Thoughts

Code of Conduct

Article one

I am an American fighting with the forces that guard my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

There is a thin veneer between veterans and those remembered on Memorial Day. Every G.I sacrifices. What we sacrifice is certainly not our choice. As a consequence of good fortune, and by unknown sources that gave me interesting ASVAB and AFOQT scores, I’m thankful that my sacrifices have been small. I’ve given a lot of time away and missed plenty of things. I’ve endued hardships and placed a heavy burden on loved ones. But I’m still a very fortunate man.

It hurts to know that many, who were just like me, had to sacrifice everything. My abundance is due to a few degrees difference in the trajectory of my service. When I reflect on all of the things that I have helped bring into existence, it fills me with pain to know that others were unable to see there dreams unfold. How many weddings were missed? How many beautiful children were not born? How much joy has been sacrificed?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen and thank you for your service.

TFO said...

nicely said.