Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sparky Honors his Mentors




Sparky, the good Dr. John Breeskin, held a ceremony honoring his mentors and celebrating the beginning of his 50th year as a psychologist. I had that damn lump in my throat as he began to speak, and by the end of his talk it subsided, just to reappear again at the conclusion. I swear he does that on purpose!

A great many of the psychologists and researchers that I have studied have worked with Sparky. He ran through a list on the ten most influential psychologists in the field, and then added a few of his own. Along the way he paid respect to each of them. It was an amazing trip! He was even able to pull off a very mild criticism of Carl Rogers in a room full of shrinks (I happened to disagree with the criticism ...but there was no microphone).

Among Sparky’s many gifts to the world, and to me personally, is his movie, Sparky’s Ashes, which he made a couple of years ago. In it he visits the places where he will have his ashes spread. He also interviews his mortician, hangs out with a panhandler, and dresses like a wizard! One of the most symbolic places is at the statue, “The Awakening,” at Hains Point. This happened to be moved to the new Harbor Front Convention Center in Maryland on the very same day as Sparky delivered his speech. However rare, I simply cannot find the meaning in these two events as they collide in my heart.

I have had many mentors who have helped me throughout my life. None have considered the meaning of the relationship like Sparky does. Not only do I respect his work and contributions, but I also feel cared for in a spiritual manner. Sparky desires to know that a part of him will exist in this word long after he is gone. This is my job, and I accept it. His influence in my work and life is clear and obvious, just as Sparky’s mentors are alive in his work. One day, as my big-sister of a colleague noted, I'll give a speech honoring Sparky. Along the way, I’ll be looking for people to guide, help, and ultimately “bless.” Like fathers and sons, on and on the pattern will be continued.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did he say about Carl Rogers? I'll deck him!

Seriously, it is amazing reading about Sparky's relationship with you and the other people around him. And I like your view of it as a circle--or a continuous path, or whatever--of flowing wisdom, from him to you to who knows who's next?

Aaronish said...

Maybe to you, if you would start paying attention and stop shrugging off my opinions.(Kidding!)

LtC Ross & Dr. Cher said...

I've been looking all over for John Breeskin! The emails I send to his email address just bounce back. It is so nice to see him written about with such fondness. He is, after all, rather a trickster - a lovable one, but a trickster nonetheless.

Since I have lost contact with him, I would very much appreciate it if you could pass along my well wishes. You are welcome to pass along my email address, as well: blogmgmt@comcast.net.

Great man. Amazing teacher. And a lovely blog entry about him. Thank you for a nice moment.

Cher S.

LtC Ross & Dr. Cher said...

Help. Sparky wrote. I wrote back and then... my email crashed. I lost his address. If possible, please ask him to email me again. I have great news and... like that. Thank you SO much!