Monday, February 11, 2008

Powerful Documentary

I am not sure of the popularity of the documentary, Color of Fear, by the renowned therapist Lee Mun Wah. It was used as an eye-opener during graduate school, which still resonates in me despite it being several years since I first saw the full film. For white males, issues surrounding multiculturalism are exeptionally difficult to learn about (I remember watching this segment in class and feeling like every eye in the room was drilling a hole in my back--the lone white male). This film captured where most white men have to start, in order to move deeper into understanding and recognizing their role as deniers and minimizers. It also underscores why social movements have to be In-Your-Face. If they are not, the power of denial will turn the heads of those needing enlightenment.

It is often hard for me to imagine the strength that cultural, racial, and sexual minorities have to muster in order to navigate in our society. Now, I certainly did not have a full supply of silver spoons available to me growing up, but there was a plastic spork near by when it was needed.

That is not a clumsy flippant metaphore.

It is difficult to look at all of the work that I have done and the sacrifices that I have made, and then learn that entire groups of people have it worse than I did. Then I learned that this advantage was granted to me because of my race, gender, and sexual preference. Recognizing this is not an easy first step!

The truth is that I always had utensils. Often times they were cheap and made of plastic, but small opportunities were always there for me to pick up when I was ready to use them. It is hard to look at that as being something that others were refused. Yet, that is the truth, and for many white men clinging to "our story" of success is the best way to remain protected from the pain of some very ugly truths. We take the acceptance, the foundation of opportunity, for granted. That ultimatly prevents others from helping us begin the process of understanding, welcoming, and embracing all minorities as equals. Exploring and facing what it means to be a white man in America is a shame inducing journey. Shame and denial are like... well, they have a close relationship.

So, as I can only move throughout life as a new cognitive minority-- the humbled white male. I catch myself looking at black professionals with more appreciation. I consider the issues of immigrant populations with more compassion, and I look at the bravery of gay and lesbian couples showing affection towards each another in public with respect. While there may be battles being fought that are invisible to me, I can certainly recognize a warrior when I see one.

My appreciation and sensitivity may mean little to those in the fight for equality and justice. Yet, it is a representative victory. It is what has to happen for all white men, and can only happen when an individual's assumptions about what it means to be a white man are challenged in a direct and passionate encounter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-vAbpJW_xEc

(How on earth can I post video clips?????)

No comments: