Friday, January 4, 2008

Big Sister’s Androgynous Family

I was SO HAPPY to see this picture last night when I came home from work! I wish that the blog version was more clear, because it is just wonderful! I often flaunt myself as a male product of the feminist movement and I think this picture demonstrates how a child can view parents as equal partners dedicated to their care (as opposed to the outdated bread-winner, king of the castle, head of the household model--with affection being demonstrated only by the mom). Although, I must admit that I am still forced to pick up dead things in the yard. The only good reason that my wife has given me for that is because...Well?.. I'm "a guy."

Anyway. Yes, at first glance it is a funny bird with two heads carrying Baby and Big-Sister on a skinny stretched out piece of shared flesh. But, after a closer look! It is clear that she drew a male and female figure bonded together (and smiling about it) in a manner that offers support to the children. The male and female figures are equal in size and wear equally sized crowns. They can also stand on their own two feet, but most importantly; she drew little people tucked under each of the adults waistbands (the blog photo does not show that very well--they each look like Cindy-Lou Who!).

So, although Big Sister can clearly identify the gender differences in her caregivers, she also views her parents as a singular androgynous care-giving entity. The picture does not offer male support separated from female love, and the babies do not come just from mommies. Yet, these things are produced from this singe care-giving mass of love that is capable of support and reproduction.

Maybe this is a great illustration of gender equality when viewed from a five-year-old's perspective? If it is, it is exactly what my wife and I have been attempting to achieve. I'll be sure to ask Big Sister about her intent after she finishes her dissertation. Regardless, I think it is absolutely wonderful!

5 comments:

Kelly O said...

I would say more birdlike than androgynous.

I hope you're keeping that picture forever. It's quite lovely.

Aaronish said...

Yes, but a bird with two heads!

http://www.slideshare.net/eastlinton/the-bharunda-bird

Anonymous said...

I love this picture and I am amazed by Emma's insight! It's really unbelievable-and it deserves to be framed and hung in the living room!

TFO said...

It's also beatiful compositionally. Big Sister may be a budding artist...is she left handed? : - )

Aaronish said...

No, but a very interesting observation. She is a righty. The arcs must have been deliberate.