Thursday, March 27, 2008

eminem


I am a metal junkie. My running music includes a huge variety of metal that would melt most peoples ears. It normally gives me huge jolts of energy. However, I have been really interested in eminem lately. I'm even skipping my Priest tunes!
I've never been a rap fan. Eminem's content, which consists mostly of incomplete adolescent ramblings, is not very appealing to me. Yet, it's making for great running music. There is an implicit message of needing to endure pain. Much like running, one can only push through while holding the pain ("And the beat goes on. Da, da-dum. Da, da-dum!"). The masochistic elements are clear. Plus the music parallels both the pain of exercise and the rhythm of running. I also dig the rebellious messages that are similar to those found in metal songs. What I hear is: "I don't have to be smart or rich to tell you to go Eff yourself!"
I guess now I will have to go buy some baggy pants.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do baggy pants go well with bifocal glasses?? -H.

Aaronish said...

That is low, man.

TFO said...

don't worry Aaron...young people will always eat their words of youth. Getting old is what young people do best.